Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Media Players for home entertainment system.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Deca 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a media center for my home entertainment system.....does anyone know if these systems can upconvert div x media to 720p and 1080p? I know they do dvd's which are 420, but I am really only interested in these media players if they can upconvert divx formats.

#2 ·
WDTV Live

Picked one up for $175, not quite perfect compared to my modded Xbox running XBMC, but Western Digital is releasing firmware updates regularly. Plays virtually all video formats up to 1080p. Of course SD ones are upconverted. When googling, watch out for the the LIVE part, its important if you want network connectivity. Of course no DVD playback, if you want that then Popcorn Hour NMT is the way to go.

#3 ·
I use an apple tv that is modded so that it can also run xbmc. Doesn't do 1080p but will handle 720p. The xbmc can handle pretty much any file format you through at it. The apple tv has a clean interface and looks great on a HD panel. I also like how it seamlessly integrates your itunes library so that it can be viewed from your tv while displaying album cover art. Mine is hooked into my whole home audio system and video matrix switch so that I can use it in multiple zones of the house. I can also control it via I-Phone or I-Touch... works pretty slick for my application. I'd like the 1080p connectivity, but for now, this does the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.