4 year customer looking to upgrade... what's the best way? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-17, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

4 year customer looking to upgrade... what's the best way?

I've been a Bell subscriber for about 4 years. I have a 5920 PVR, an extra basic receiver, super 7 pack and am not tied to a contract anymore.

I'd like to upgrade my PVR to an HD PVR and programming to include the HD programming.

I notice that Bell has a Digital Essentials $82 per month PVR pack that would suit my viewing needs very nicely.

Can I call up Bell and order this or do I have to be a new customer?
Does this include the PVR or do I have to pay an extra $20 a month for it ($102 per month total)?

If I can't order this, I'll cancel completely and switch to cable for 3 months or maybe perminantly. Will this telling them this help my case or am I fubar'd?

Last edited by robbrown; 2007-10-17 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 02:50 AM
Veteran

This subject is dscussed in many threads...

There is a promotion right now call Nimiq 2 free upgrade, where existing client could get the "upgrade kit" required for HD, an the HD receiver free of charge if they suscribe to programming requiring the "upgrade kit" for a period of 6 mnth. It could be any etnic channel, AOV movies, HD, or even Salt & Light religious channel.

9200 are on special this week at 399$ at Best Buy...

If you decide to take the rental route they would ask you to buy a rental certificate that cost 100$ on a credit card. That charge will be credited on the bill following the activation. This will add a 20$/month on your bill and you would have to sign a 1 year contract. You will also be entitled to have the HD channels free of charge for 6 months. HD channels are 10$/month

In both cases if you currently do not have HD channels you will get the install free of charge.

The agent will most probably advise you to update your programming package to make sure you will receive all the HD stations, but you could also keep the old package you had, and just add the rental cost, and 9.95$ for the HD. If you choose to keep the old package you won't get A&E, Rush, Treasure and Equator... It is very possible that you run into a big argument with the agent if it's the option you got for since, at one point agents were told that they had to migrate the client to the new platform if they make any changes to their programming. In that case you could either hang up, and get another agent when you call back, or ask for the supervisor.

If you cancel there is a 30 days policy and you won't be considered a new client until 6 months later.

If you call and threath to cancel they might offer you a good deal like 12 months of free rental for the 9200. It's worth a try!

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 10:59 AM

Agent Said,
Quote:
In both cases if you currently do not have HD channels you will get the install free of charge.

The actual qualification for a "free" Upgrade is if the customer has NO programing from the second bird, not just HD. So if a Customer gets ANYTHING on the second bird, they have to PAY for the installation of an HD receiver.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank-you for the help. I appreciate it.

I'd like one of the HD PVR's to replace my current SD PVR. And while I currently only receive stations from one sattelite, it sounds like the upgrade won't help me with the PVR.

So how does this sound?

1)
I call up Bell and tell them I'd like to cancel. See if they come back with anything.

2)
Subscribe to the $82 a month combo pack that gets me the PVR rental, HD stations, etc

Is that the best way for me to get a new pvr and HD service from Bell?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 11:55 AM

Considering the amount you spend with them per month, if you theaten to cancel, they will transfer you to the retention department and I will wager they will at least offer you a 9200 with free rental for a year (especially now that it is being upgraded) and maybe 6 months of free HD programming (I was a 7 year customer and was offered more).

try to call a competitor to see what they will offer you to switch (Videotron offered me a lot and I took it) then at least you have some data to threaten BEV with so they know you are not making everything up.

Good luck
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I called, played the game and i think I came out ok.

Here's what I got:

Paid $100 on a credit card on the phone.
I get a $100 credit upon activiation of the new receiver.

New 9200 PVR rental for free for 1 year. $20 / month after that.

3 months of completely free programming
3 months of 50% off programming
6 months of free HD programming
Free install

Last edited by robbrown; 2007-10-18 at 01:44 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 01:46 PM

Sounds like desperation to keep a customer.

Good Deal.

Now I wonder just how many people are actually paying full price these days with Express Vu.....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
Now I wonder just how many people are actually paying full price these days with Express Vu.....
I would guess too many, unfortunately...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 02:50 PM

But just about everyone that comes onto this forum is looking for a way to "Get a Deal".
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 03:18 PM
Q
Veteran

Other than the $5 bundle discount I pay full price for my BEV.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 03:30 PM

Thank You for paying for it in Full, I however do have that pleasure, I must admit to getting a discount, I do, on the other hand own way too many Express Vu receivers, that have cost me a small fortune over the years......lol
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 03:32 PM

Q do you not get a free theme?
I get a discount.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 03:40 PM

Damn I was close

Sorry but my heart does not bleed for BEV (obviously because I left....).

In BEV's case the min sub went up 400% + in 7 years. Customer support was greatly decreased in time available and attitude (again why I left....and yes personal opinion)

Even though they are practically a crown corporation they outsourced the IT to India instead of investing in the Maritimes that already have the infrasturcture but greatly lack employment. Cheaper I know, but at the same time why should we not be getting the savings?

/rant off
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-18, 03:54 PM
Q
Veteran

I have always paid full price. When I upgraded to new genesis packages they gave me HDTV free for 3 months I think. That's It.

Unfortentely for me I don't want to lose the 9200. There is nothing on the market that does what it can do for me. This includes the OTA tuner, the modulated output, vu pass and a few others.

I did cancel my land line. Got a pretty large discount on sympatico when I said I was leaving.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2007-10-19, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.