Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#212 ·
I believe you pay the $499 ($100 instore discount) then get $200 in programming credits. That was how it was explained to a neigbor of mine a couple of months ago anyway.

#213 ·
dhmesa said:
Did you have to pay $599 and get $300 in programming credits or did they just charge you $299 directly ?
I bought mine over the phone from the retentions guy (not in a store). They charged my credit card the full price, then I get a $300 credit back.

Bad thing about that is you pay tax on the full $600, but only get $300 back which makes your net cost $378, or the equivalent of paying $334 for the receiver, not $300. The relative good thing is if you have One Bill, the TV credit works against everything (not just TV services) so you get your money back fairly quickly.

#215 ·
Steve0 said:
The other way to look at it is you do not pay tax on the $300 in credits that go towards your bill.

It all comes out in the wash.
Now that I look at it again, you're right. Bell sure doesn't do a very good job of making their bills easy to understand. When I first looked at the bill, it showed the $300 credit after all the other services were added up, including taxes. But then I see they credited the taxes down lower too. Thanks, you just made me happier :)

#217 ·
I just called they're open right now.

Anyways I opened my bill yesterday and my discount was not there. I called 5 days before my billing cycle starts and 2 days before the billing date. They said it take 4-6 weeks to get the discount to their computers, so it seems like I won't see the discount until Jan-Feb cycle (her words).

For others with discounts, is this what you're seeing?

My increase is $1 for the min package (less timeshift).

#218 ·
I don't see why it would take that long for the credit to show up ... the $300 credit for the 9242 was on my very next bill.

However the $75 installation credit wasn't. Fortunately when I was going through retentions process I wrote everything down including the CSR's name, so when I saw the $75 credit wasn't there I did an online chat session to get it back. I took screencaps of my online chat too, so if they screw it up a second time I have it in writing ;)

#220 ·
Renewal Deal

I just called Bell retentions, told them I had been getting offers from the cable company, got upgraded to the 9242, free install and free rental for 1 year. Was offered 20% off programing for a year, asked him if that was the best he could do, then bumped it up to 30%. All on a 1 year contract. Not too bad considering I was not planning on switching, especially since I just signed up for NHL Centre Ice for the first time this year, and still have 3 payments left to make on it.

#221 ·
I am "renting" a 9242 (actually free rental that runs out at the end of the year) and now I want to buy one at $299.
dhemsa
As stated earlier they put the reg charge $600.78 on the first bill then receive credit on programing for your discount. You end up paying $299 + tax
They will send your receiver with an installer in a week. No charge to install (I guess they pay installers as couriers)and no contract.
You can call 1-866-408-0188
You should keep on top of your rental return as bell can not walk and chew gum at the same time. IE(your work order for the new receiver cancels any other order you have to return your rental)
After your credits are done call back and say your are unhappy with your purchase and they will give you a 40% monthly credit for a year. (If you don't already have one. 10 years is a very loyal customer.)

#222 ·
im sorta getting tired of paying 130 bucks a month for

8 themes an dmovie channels $ 51.00
2 X standard Receivers $ 6.00
Digital STandard $ 31.00
US time Shifting $1.00
Digital Service Fee
HD PVR $20.00

So anyone got any goo excuses to give bell to sucker them into giving me a retention discount

#223 ·
If you are outside of your 2 year Rental Term, try buying a receiver or two, that will save you $20+ per month.

Don't forget, Bell gave you a free installation, that has to be recouped somewhere down the line.

Otherwise just call and tell them you are moving to Cable.

#227 ·
Friend tried, only get a small offer

Friend phoned Bell up today. He has been a Bell TV customer for 7+ years, averaging $55. + taxes a month all these years, and w/ 4 old style receivers on account. No contracts and no rentals so far.

He wants to get a HD PVR, and so he asked if there is any special offer, b/c Shaw has some offer, etc. Bell rep said can give 2 months worth of monthly credit, about $120. in total, and that's it, nothing more. Friend mentioned that he was going to buy an HD PVR from a store.

I don't know, but that doesn't sound like matching a new customer deal. A new customer buying a 9242 will get $300. programming credit, and either $100. discount at Bell store, or $150. Gift Card at London Drugs; all together a $400. to $450. discount, and my friend can only get less than $120., about 1/4 of a new customer offer.

Not sure how you guys did it, but it doesn't sound much retention to me. Not only that, the rep told my friend that "If you were going to cancel, make sure you gave us 30 days notice", when he asked if he could cancel, and asked his brother to activate a new account to enjoy the benefit, which the rep said "well, I guess in theory".

#228 ·
fortissimo said:
Not sure how you guys did it, but it doesn't sound much retention to me.
It doesn't sound like your friend spoke to retentions. If you just call up and talk to the average CSR, you'll get offers like your friend got. I called twice and got about the same thing. To speak to retentions, when you call up the very first thing you say is "I'd like to cancel my service please." You'll then get transferred to retentions, and then you should have no problem getting half off a PVR, and possibly other credits depending on how far you feel like pushing it.

#230 ·
Hi,
Just wondering when it would be a good time to call retentions to get one of the deals some of you got? Is January a bad time or would they be more desparate for customers in February or doesn't it matter?

I have been with Expressvu for at least 5 years...my bill is about $80/month for the tv only. I want to get an HD package with the new PVR but would like to get a free rental for at least a year. I'm not sure what HD programming packages they would offer me as I'm sure my programming bundle is now no longer around...

What is the best approach with retentions? Is Rogers still offering the 2 year free pvr deal to people?

Thanks.
LIP

#231 ·
LIP, I already went though this last spring and got a half price 9242 and 40% off for 12 months and yadda, yadda

I got another card in the mail last month from Shaw offering me to trade in my Bell for a free HD PVR from them. If your in an area ( not sure where you are ) that has Shaw... maybe try that.. deal / offer good till Feb 28th, 09 I think.

Don't jump the first day... say you will think about it and check with Shaw to see what you get.. maybe Bell will put you on hold....

#237 ·
I called Bell yesterday to inquire on a better deal. I've been with them for about 4 years, and thus no longer have a commitment. I got what I think is a pretty sweet deal - for essentially $80 a month I am getting the Digital Extra bundle along with LeafsTV, Setanta and Dish Care. The rep that I spoke with was fantastic and we had a great conversation about things. I wasn't interested in leaving BellTV, and she wasn't interested in letting me go as a customer, so we both felt that this was a good deal for both parties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.