Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#179 ·
I went for the $299 9242 upgrade but I'm starting to regret it. Not that the 9242 is a bad receiver but it's a bad deal for me.
1. Why should I pay to replace a receiver that Bell f'd up with bad firmware? :confused:
2. Now I have a 9200 that has been devalued considerably due to Bell's discounts. A receiver Bell will have to upgrade eventually when they switch to MPEG4.
3. Dish is giving away free upgrades to VIP722s and they are a better unit than the castrated 9242. (I doubt Bell is paying more than $300 for the 9242.)

I think I just got suckered again. :eek:

#182 ·
I'll call when I want to upgrade to HD later this year. I can't believe that they treat potential customers better than customers they have had for years. The current deal for new customers is $400 off an 9242 and free install, so I 'll expect at least that much.

#185 ·
Sammy, I woudn't have mentionned, if I was you being an agent and getting the 35% discount. I belive agents are not eiligible to receive any retention offer since they are already getting a monthly rebate. EV is looking at this site and would probably investigate to see who you are.

The amount that retention departement is able to give out will be different fom one client to another. The amount is based on the following criterias:
-How long client has been with EV
-Monthly amount of the bill
-Payment history
-If client has other services with Bell

It also depends on the reason why a retention offer is being made... If client has a persistent problem for example, or something that took a long time to get resolved

#186 ·
My retention story was pretty cut and dry - I actually DID have an installation booked with Rogers since they were ready to give me a good deal with HD and discounts...

When I then called BEV to cancel, I got a VERY nice CSR in the retentions department that told me "we see you are a loyal customer" (I've been with EV for about 7 years) and "may I ask why you wish to cancel?"

I was very upfront and honest and told her that I was offered a really good deal with Rogers. She asked me if I was interested in hearing what they could counter offer with, and of course, I said "sure... I figured you would..." LOL

They offered me a free 9242 and 40% off my programming for the next 12 months. I did the math and this was only SLIGHTLY higher than what I would be paying with Rogers, but we also have the Premium Movies with BEV (not in the package from Rogers), so we're much better off that way.

For those that may be thinking "I'll just call and tell them I'm leaving"... a nickel's worth of free advice - although they SHOULD suggest something to keep you, be prepared to be left with nothing if they tell you "sorry" and then you may be left with nothing.

#188 ·
Well, i tried pushing them for something better but the best he could do was 30% off and a $100 service credit.

Also tried to get him to admit that the digital service fee was just a price increase but he wouldn't actually say it. I bet it's something they get scored on for quality monitoring if it comes up. Well i guess he passed their test and didn't crack.

#189 ·
****, i have been dealing with BELL on my 40% off. 2 bills now and still no credit. Called this week and they said for sure on the next bill.

So, watch to make sure you get your 30%.... as i hear they offer it but try to see if people do not notice that it has been applied.

12 months of 40%... is something I will notice if it is not happening.

B

#190 ·
I wrote:

I'll call when I want to upgrade to HD later this year. I can't believe that they treat potential customers better than customers they have had for years. The current deal for new customers is $400 off an 9242 and free install, so I 'll expect at least that much.

Well, the current deal for new customers is not quite as good: half price, so $300 off a 9242. Still, they gave it to this old customers when I asked for it, along with free install. I did not threaten to quit, just asked for the same price they gave non-customers.

#195 ·
Well, the current deal for new customers is not quite as good: half price, so $300 off a 9242. Still, they gave it to this old customers when I asked for it, along with free install. I did not threaten to quit, just asked for the same price they gave non-customers.
I just called and got denied the "new customer" rate of $299 for the 9242. All I could get was 25% off the purchase as a 2 year Term Renewal, plus I'd have to pay $75 for installation. I told them no thanks and that I'd call back. :(

I got transferred to the direct sales dept. from billing, which might've been the problem. My renewal is not for another 2 weeks, so maybe I just called too early?

#191 ·
Finally called Bell today to cancel my service and was offered:

9242 rental for one year at no charge
free installation
30% discount on monthly bill

When I told the rep that I was offered 2 years from rental of an HD-PVR from Rogers, she said, "call us in one year and we'll see what we can do"

I renewed.

:p

Roberta

#196 ·
I got quite the same as you 5 months ago;
40% off programing
Free rental of a 9242 for a year
$50 one time credit
Free install (eventhough they charged me $100 <- called to get a credit)
Just mentioned Roger's deal, that they wanted to buy me out from Bell.

#193 ·
Told them I was thinking about going to SHAW since they were offering a FREE HDPVR with no contract. Plus NFL Sunday ticket is much cheaper @ Shaw.

Result
Got 30% off bill for 12 months and $100 off a 9242 HD PVR. Basically with my program package that works out to be about $378 off my bill before taxes for 12 months

Saved from receiver $112 taxes included
Saved from programming $424 taxes included.

Total savings
$536 dollars.

Happy camper here. Well sort of.........I get to watch my Dolphins lose in HD but at cheaper cost.

Cheers!

#197 ·
I recently got a retention deal, not quite as good as some of the ones here, but it was an upgrade from my current package.
I had a 6100 and got a free 9242 rental for a year + free installation. I'm happy.

#198 ·
:cool: I got the same deal as diento back in late May... and the same response from Bell that they gave Roberta... "Give us a year to see how we do."

I can't wait until the first of May '09 to see what OTHER great deals Rogers has so I can stay with Bell! ;)

EDIT: I just got my "real" first bill on my new HD service - I've been playing around with the lineups and packages to see what we like and what we don't... I ended up adding pretty much ALL the English packages, and my net bill only went up about $10.00 from what I was paying for prior to my upgrade. Not bad, considering I have a TON more channels now. I don't subscribe to any of the premium sports packages (NHL Centre Ice, NHL Sunday Ticket, etc...)

#200 ·
My contract is up in December, but I noticed on the bell website my account is now showing term renewal offers. The best one for me so far seems to be an upgrade from my 9200 to the 9242 and 6 months free rental if I sign up for another 2 years. I'm not really interested in switching because the next best thing in my area is Cogeco and I am not in an all digital area, which is why I went to Bell in the first place. Are the offers going to get any better as I get closer to my term ending? I don't think the y will take me seriously if I threaten to cancel since I just ordered the NHL package. Any advise would be appreciated.

#203 ·
Retentions....

Amazing that Bell is still in business!!!!! I just got a retentions offer. It is very similar other that have posted here. 9242 rental free for 1 year and 30% off my programing.

I told the retentions CSR that I am happy with that offer, then the retentions CSR said I need your credit card to process a charge to set up a new receiver for this offer to go through as it is a rental. Of course my first response was are you kidding, I have finally set it up with all the favorites and channels we like and timers in place. You know that balance is hard in a busy family!!! To boot I told him we have 40 to 50 hours recorded that have not been watched, no way I want a new receiver when mine is perfectly okay and working. I told him it would be mutiny in the family.:mad: He had no other solution other that re-placement of the existing receiver. :eek: I was adamant that no way I would go for this offer then, I would take Shaw`s offer and be done with Bell TV. I asked to talk to his supervisor and explained the situation and said that there must be another way to "skin a cat". He came up with a $240.00 up front credit and then I can keep the same receiver and 30% off programing on a monthly basis. After that it was a done deal.

I think what gets me is that their is no flexibility or thought process with Bell TV Csr`s even the retentions one. I had to go over his head to make it happen or off to Shaw I would have gone. Boggles the mind!!!!

#204 ·
or off to Shaw I would have gone. Boggles the mind!!!!
You would be extremely disappointed with their HDPVR...
I want to call in to get a "retention" deal, but I WAS afraid of having to turn in my HDPVR, with the hours of HD kids movies/tv shows...
I guess now that you have shown it can be done, maybe I will call in... Probably not though, as I am worried they will call my bluff, and shut the receivers down while I'm on the phone!:eek:

#206 ·
I called once my 2 years was up, to "cancel" and was put through to retentions.
Got upgraded to a 9242, free rental for one year, free install and 20% discount on programing. And only a one year contract, which means they'll have beat or match that next year. I think it's the only service I've ever had from anyone where my cost went down every year.

#207 ·
You would be extremely disappointed with their HDPVR...
I want to call in to get a "retention" deal, but I WAS afraid of having to turn in my HDPVR, with the hours of HD kids movies/tv shows...
I guess now that you have shown it can be done, maybe I will call in... Probably not though, as I am worried they will call my bluff, and shut the receivers down while I'm on the phone!
Do it, I think they will not call the bluff, I never had any intentions of leaving. I was polite and told them the straight facts. They know the deals out in TV land. Bottom line they want the monthly billing (cash) it far more valuable to them. As far as next year goes, we will see. Kind of the same deal would be nice. I knew going back to Bell, that I would reaps the benefits after my 2 years were up. And I think I have. They need you way more than you need them!!!!

#208 ·
only sub to digital standard been with Bell for 4 yrs, did not say I wanted to cancel but would like to review their services.
Ended up getting 10% off for 12 months as they are "not getting much revenue from me" (more or less his words).

did not see a price increase on my oct statement, maybe they'll add it in on my next.....

#209 ·
9242 $299

Called due to a local store having a sale on the 9242 for $199.
First CSR offered two creidts; 1 for $75 and 1 for $140; I stated that was ridiculous and I would have to verify if my spouse was available so I could cancel and we could sign her up.

Tech put me on hold, and then I was intouch with retentions. They provided the 9242 for $299, plus free installation and no contract since they considered it a hardware purchase only.

#210 ·
prowl said:
Tech put me on hold, and then I was intouch with retentions. They provided the 9242 for $299, plus free installation and no contract since they considered it a hardware purchase only.
Similar story here. Been with Bell for about 10 years and have purchased two receivers from them over the years. I wanted to go HDTV and called twice to regular CSRs to try to get the $300 purchase deal on a 9242. No way, note even after going up to supervisors. I finally called to cancel, immediately got a retention agent (who, BTW, was far nicer and more helpful than any of the CSR I spoke with) and he gave me the $300 deal plus free installation. I like Bell and always wanted to stay with them; it's a shame you have to play these games.

#211 ·
I am "renting" a 9242 (actually free rental that runs out at the end of the year) and now I want to buy one at $299. Been a loyal customer for over 10 years. Even willing to sign up for 2 years if I have to. Looks like the only way is to cancel and join again. No wonder everyone hates Bell and is dropping them like a hot potato any chance they get (home phone, wireless, TV , Internet, whatever).

Did you have to pay $599 and get $300 in programming credits or did they just charge you $299 directly ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.