Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#59 ·
first they offered 10% off all programming. I said the problem was the equipment. He then came back with a $10 receiver credit for a year. I'd go back for a $20 receiver credit so that I could go w HDPVR. I'm close to moving to cable with an incentive offer from them.

#63 ·
Bell Retention Department

I have been a long time Bell customer, have Sympatico high speed, Bell home phone, no long distance as I use VOIP, Express Vu, old Super 7 package which includes high definition, and Pay and Talk Mobile with Bell. I am looking at getting a better deal from Bell ie High def PVR . Does the retention department take into account all your services or do they negotiate individually? Is 2 years the minimum contract have to agree to if I rent the new high def pvr, do not need dish, SW44 switch, etc as I already have it when I bought my 6000 receiver. Thanks in advance.

#64 ·
So I called back yesterday and was offered a free 9242 rental for 1 year. Since I haven't been taking advantage of HD, I opted for a free 5900 rental for 2 years and only went on a new 1 year contract. Not a bad outcome in my mind. It's better than the "free" HD receiver that Cogeco offers to their new customers (only when you buy a new tv).

Time now to go through the 5900 threads.

#67 ·
Bell Retentions Service

Hi there,
Heres my situation...my parents have been getting a few calls from cogeco over the past few weeks about switching back to them...we've were with them for some b4 switching to bell 16 months ago.

I finally called back this morning and they offered us something very very competitive.
One free HD PVR rental for 2 years, plus another free HD reciever. ( since we have one HD and one standered they obviously put a standered in lue of the 2nd HD)

Free HD programing for 1 year plus a 20% discount off the regular TV for one year.

total bill for first year is about under $60/month

What we currently have is 1 HD (no PVR), 1 standerd, 5 themes, HD plus 2 indian channels...bill is about $110 each month

What we gain...the PVR, what we lose, Indian channels (cogeco doesn't offer them)

Is there anyway as a current Bell surscriber to negotiate with them, do they have retentions like cell companies do. Im back home from univeristy this weekend and would'nt mind calling in and negotiating if for my parents. I know i've done this on my Rogers Cell and have a crazy deal.

If people have done than give me some feedback/ideas if it is even worth my time or if i should tell my parents to just switch over. ( they don't want to lose there indian channels but might be worth it)

Thanks for your help

#73 ·
When you goto cancel make sure you talk to one of the canadian call centers, if you get india I think they will just cancel you. I think you only get india after regular hours though.

#74 ·
Just got off the phone...hour long convo (thats a lie, i got off the phone and my mom made me shovel 2 feet of snow)

well if u look at the offer from bell i had, i didn't get that exactly but still a good package.

My current bill is $109/month which included 3 or 4 indian channels my parents watch.

recieved upgrade from my HD to PVR 9442 for one year free (so savings of my rental of $10/month)

than 40% off my programing for one year so my total bill drops from 109/month with 1 HD 1 standerd to $54 + Tax for one year for PVR HD and one standerd for one year
-probably gonna go do the same thing next year for my parents

So my programing is basic, 5 themes, HD and indian channels (which is $30 for4 normally) for $54 month plus tax for 1 year.

one time $50credit (we'll see if i ever get it)

Talked to 3 people, first girl was really cool but said she didnt have authority to give me more. Just explained what i had offered from cogeco she tried to match. Transfered me to guy who gave me this deal pretty quickly.
than back to a guy in retentions who gave just signed me up!!

At least i did something productive this snow day!!

#75 ·
When you goto cancel make sure you talk to one of the canadian call centers, if you get india I think they will just cancel you. I think you only get india after regular hours though
Things might have changed, but when I worked there India was takingonly tech calls.

The retention centers were in Montreal and Toronto

To avoid getting to the India call center justselect French when they ask the language...none of the calls were you select Frech are transfered to India since Indians only take English calls. All Canadian agents have to be bilingual to work at EV, therefore the agent will be able to answer you in English. This is the way that it was working a dfew months ago when I was there...things might have changed in the meantime, I appologise in advance

#76 ·
Contract is up in a month and called today to get the ball rolling. After only 1 other offer they offered 30% off programming(down to about $70), and when I told them I wanted to give back my 6100 and 4100(rentals) and get a 9242 to go along with one I already have she offered it free for 1 year. I think it is a pretty good offer although I may try to get my present 9242 rental free for the next year too!! Any thoughts?

Thanks

#77 ·
I recently moved in to my new place, transferring home to Ottawa after 7 years in the middle of nowhere. I had Evu out west, but no other Bell services. They screwed up my initial phone install 9 hour "window", and did not actually schedule a tech to come, and did not call me to cancel. I finally got my phone after another week, then my modem another week later. The phone tech appointment was narrowed down to a one hour window, the most I would agree to given one wasted day. Evu, surprisingly, was most on the ball installing the day after I called, doing everything as asked and very well, and within the four hour window.

When I complained to Bell about the phone FUBAR (it was far more involved than the brief play by play above), they offered me a $50 credit and a month free internet. I turned them down. Then $100 and three months free inet. Still not enough for the 9 hours of my time waiting for an appointment they never intended to keep. Then EVU, the only division that got it right, threw in two months free, another $150 roughly. So, to keep me as a customer for the three services, they gave me about $330 worth of credits, or about 3 months free for all.

The screwup was a bit more than many have to deal with, trust me, but they are willing to go pretty far to retain their customers in terms of credits.

#78 ·
I got the following:
HD PVR rent free for a year.
HD programming free for 6 months
30% off programming for a year.

Sweet deal.

PS I'm in Moncton. Expressvu is the only provider that offers a dual tuner PVR. Rogers has been promissing for 4 years to get us one. fyi, Rogers was offering me VIP + with the movie package, HD programming for 62.99 for one year no contact.

#79 ·
Question re installation costs on retention deal.

My 2 year rental contract ended in December. I fully intended to leave BEV but I must admit that for me their service has improved and it would seem all providers have their issues. Therefore I might be talked into staying. What I have now is 3 4100s and a 6100. I have purchased a second HD tv so I would need a 6141 and get rid of 1 4100 or a 9242 and get rid of 2 4100s and run 2nd SD set from 9242. My question is on installation charges. I know on rental contracts BEV must do the installation so do they charge for that on their retention deals? The 6141 would just plug in so that would be the easiest but I sure wouldn't pay the 75.00 charge for a BEV installer to do it. Anyone have any experience with this?

#80 ·
I asked and received free install on my new 9242 and swap of 6100 and 4100 for another 9242.A few posts back you can read all the info. Of course, free to Bell means I pay 100.00 now and am refunded next month:rolleyes:! I must say I was very happy with customer service the last few phone calls.

#81 ·
6100 Problem and Offer

My account was activated from suspension and when I turned on my 6100, it was cycling through the transponders (message 015 on screen). There was no signal. My 3100 was working fine. I checked the lines, ran a direct line, switched receivers, etc. I called tech support and after troubleshooting I was told it was a problem with the receiver. I brought it to the local electronics store and they hooked it up - still no signal.
I was initially offered a 6100 rental if I sent my defective receiver in (My current 6100 is purchased). I asked about the 6141 and was told I could get one of those instead (interesting how they didn't offer the new model upfront). I asked about owning a 6141 and was told I could buy one for $149.
After reading about some problems people were having, I'm starting to think my 6100 was affected from their end, especially since it worked fine before I suspended my account. After reading some of the retention offers, I think I could get a much better deal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#83 ·
After reading about some problems people were having, I'm starting to think my 6100 was affected from their end, especially since it worked fine before I suspended my account.
For $150 I don't think they would be willing to put their reputation (and possibly their business license) on the line. Writing a unique firmware version just for you and downloading it to your system is a lot of work for that price :)

To me, it does not sounds like there is any correlation between signal loss and account suspension. Two completely separate functions. Hardware fails. Since your unit did not acquire signal at onther location then you know it has to be something in your receiver.

It was likely miscommunication or a simple mistake when they said they would replace your unit with a 6100, but I could be wrong. Since that model has been phased out it seems strange.

If you go for the 6141 @ $149 I believe that means it is a refurbished unit, but I haven't looked at the pricing on those lately, just want to warn you to check to be sure you understand what you are getting.

You are right about the retention offers, many seem to get a free 9242 rental for a year and possibly a subscription reduction.

Haystack - If he can't acquire and lock a signal, they can't send auth codes down to the receiver/CAM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.