Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#32 ·
Maybe it's my ignorance but my understanding is that there are true Free To Air options available. I wasn't threatening to steal, that's for sure.

Moot anyway. I'm just annoyed that my rate bumps $20 a month after my promotions end (due to rate increases that occurred while I was locked into my rental contract). That's a 35% increase in my case!

#33 ·
There are lots of true FTA channels out there
But, if I was on the other end of the phone at the retentions dept, it might be sound like your prices are too much to pay, when you can use a FTA box and get free tv
You may be using it for TRUE FTA, but, they may think you are using it for Bell, seeing as there is already a dish aimed , with a cable right to your tv set
How much were the rate increases for you?
It is a hard pill to swallow after getting the discounts for 1-2 years, and then getting the bill for the real price
What can you do

#34 ·
It is a hard pill to swallow after getting the discounts for 1-2 years, and then getting the bill for the real price
Yes, but a person should not be naive about it either. If you know you got a promo or discount for a specific period of time, you must be aware of the full price and that at some point you will have to pay it.

Whenever I look at a monthly service cost, I factor in what I ma paying before and after discount. At the end of that period the choices are to pay the full amount or switch services. Chances of continually "getting a deal" should be considered slim at best.

Common sense to me. It isn't like some other companies that hide the discounts from you. Every bill shows the full amount than your credits.

#35 ·
If you know you got a promo or discount for a specific period of time, you must be aware of the full price and that at some point you will have to pay it.
sub-prime lending comes to mind. Except that instead of charging a premium, they are just asking you to pay full price. At least you can just walk away.

#36 ·
Just call in and close your account, if they don't transfer you to the rentention office right away, they will call you 2-3 weeks later making you a offer to stay
Any disconnection order must be done throught the retention departement. CSR's are not supposed to do open orders for disconnection...

#38 ·
I had, however, expected new and cheaper hardware by now.
New hardware from EV is a loss leader. It is usually sold at or below cost in order to attract customers. It is usually sold at the same price for several years. There are a couple of reasons for that. One is to recoup losses from earlier sales. The other is because EV receivers are manufactured on large production runs well ahead of time and costs reflect actual costs some months or years in the past. Yet another reason is that this is a closed, non-competitive market. If there is no competition, there is no reason to lower prices. The only time I have seen EV reduce receiver prices is shortly after a better receiver is introduced. Even then, the price reduction was not that significant.

#39 ·
Any disconnection order must be done throught the retention departement. CSR's are not supposed to do open orders for disconnection...
Even if they're moving out of the country? That seems kind of impractical. Is the retention department open 24/7? If not, why would Bell make customers call them back and go through a hassle if they're leaving the country with no chance to be "saved" as customers?

#40 ·
The only disconnection calls that won't be transferred to retention is when a client is in the USA and uses Bell Express Vu. In that case the client will get transferred to SAT and they will terminate the account right away if there is only one receiver

#42 ·
Before you die you must arrange to have your Death Certificate Faxed to Express Vu so the account may be cancelled quicker than normal.

Also I guess that in your will you should give permission to let someone else use your receivers after your death. I would imaging Express Vu will also require a copy of the will.

#43 ·
Rogers used to do the same thing, but we've been cutting down on the bureaucracy quite a bit lately. We still have systems in place to catch people for fraud if they were to just say they were dead to get out of paying their large debt to us (it happens...), but we decided since we can police it without a death certificate, we pretty much take the person's word for it initially. That way the process is much easier for the deceased's family calling in, and if they're lying we're still able to nail them. :p

#44 ·
I happen to have Bell Sympatico High-Speed, and I always take 15 minutes to do a little research before calling every June when my one-year contract from the previous year is almost up.

Armed with a rival (usually TekSavvy)'s rate for the same level of service being much cheaper, and knowing full well I'm more than willing to switch if denied some sort of deal, I call up and tell them that if they can't match the other (i.e. TekSavvy)'s offer I will switch at the end of the contract.

I have always gotten a price match + more for a new 1 year contract. This year was a jackpot; without even starting to negotiate anything they flat out offerered me the new customer only signup terms (3 free months, 3 months @ $20, 6 months @ $30).... great success.

Now, if I were to have called and said "hey give me the new customer only deal" they would have refused. It's all about leverage, and willingness to switch if you find a better offer. In your specific case, if you're telling them that for Package A of channels you can go to Rogers/Starchoice and get it for cheaper, they will negotiate. If you say you'll cancel and get whatever you can get for free, I doubt they'll even try to retain you (that would be like me calling Sympatico and threatening to go to dialup and then asking for a price match/discount on High Speed)

If you can't find a lower price, then why would they continually offer you lower prices than what everyone else pays? At least in my case, I can get the exact same service for cheaper than the normal Sympatico rate if I switch. If your threat to switch carries no gravitas, this severely hampers your negotiating position.

#46 ·
Before you die you must arrange to have your Death Certificate Faxed to Express Vu so the account may be cancelled quicker than normal
In the case of a death the account is cancelled as soon as Express Vu receives the death certificate. The 30 days policy doesn't apply. Also as soon as they receive the death certificate they are ale to transfer the equipement if requested

#52 ·
If you say the price of the receiver is what makes you leave, but really want to purchase, not rent what they do in case like those is to offer months free, to compensate for the hardware cost.

#53 ·
If they offer you a retention deal ,say of a free HD PVR rental for 6 a months , a year etc... Are you under a new contract for that time period or are there penalties if you decide to leave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.