Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#426 ·
40% discount

Well folks, my December bill finally arrived and YES I have the 40% discount on programming.

It looks as though the 40% is applied to programming (not on the digital service fee of 3$, not on PPV and not on equipment rental). I own my equipment, so no biggie.

My programming net of the above charges is $94, but I was only charged $56.40, a discount of $37.60 per month (or $451.20) for the year. Not bad for a single phone call to retentions!

I imagine that when the prices are hiked next month I will also save 40% on that.

Another great thing is, the CRTC fee is charged at 1.5% of the net (after discounts) so you save 40% on the CRTC fee.

Not to mention, you save on the government taxes as well because the taxes are charged on the net after discounts and bundle reductions.

I figure I saved $37.60 in programming, $0.56 on the CRTC fee and $4.92 in taxes = $43.08 per month (or $516.96 for the year).

Thanks a bunch to everyone here who gave me all the info I needed to make the rententions call.

Now if I could only figure out how to do the same with my Bell Internet invoice... :)

#427 ·
I have a question. I currently have BellTV, Bell home phone and Bell cellular. As such I qualify for their bundle discounts. I am not on that. I do have my cellular on 3 year contract with 2 to go and it is on a retentions deal. If I get a retentions deal on Bell TV does anyone know if I can then bundle my services for the additional discounts or do these bundle discounts only apply to the full prices?

#432 ·
Called today to see what Bell would do for me and thought I would share my results. My 2 year contract expires Apr 2010, my normal monthly programming is $92. I currently own a 9242, 2700 and 4100. They initially offered a 9241 free for 1 year, free install and 30% off programming for 1 year but I would have to pay for the extra sw44 switch I now require because I will have 6 tuners to feed. After a little haggling and me complaining that the sw44 from them was $150 and they wouldn't budge on that, they increased the programming discount to 40% for the year. Pretty consistent with what a lot of you have gotten and decent I think given that I don't have any other services with them and my monthly package isn't huge either. I'll get a sw44 switch off Ebay for $30-40 and all is good. Now as long as they don't screw up my bill.......

PS - I also got her name and agent # so I have some sort of reference if they do screw up.

Cheers.

#433 ·
Just called Bell to cancel and told them the cost was getting too high and I wasn't happy with the price increases. He offered me 30% for a year with no contract. I have the Centre Ice package as well and he did not ask why I was canceling with 2 payments left. It took less than 5 minutes and I'll save over $400.

#434 ·
Got my $200.00 Credit

Sorry if its been discussed in previous posts, I didn't have the chance to go back through them all.

I am a monthly subscriber now since my original 2 year contract expired and called bell about receiving the $200 discount (bill credit) on a new 9241. I got the usual schtik about not being a new customer, etc etc. The offer they wanted to give me was 25% bill credit from the online purchase of a new box ** with 2 year agreement.
I am happy to say that after 40 minutes on the phone I did eventually receive the $200.00 bill credit and did not have to create/extend any contract. The best part is that I was able to pick up the box from my local electronics store.

What it finally took (after i was bounced around to my 4th person, supposed manager) was to explain the math on the $125 vs the $200. I should have recorded it, they admitted they had never looked at it that way.. I ALMOST DROPPED THE PHONE!
Also, as suggested to me from a past Bell store employee....At no point did I say I was going to cancel, and I reiterated the fact that I was happy with the service i was receiving. I don't know if this makes a difference in the long run, but hey if it can help anyone else...all the better

#435 ·
Called yesterday to cancel my Bell TV, got offered 20% off + HD-PVR, I asked for 30%, they said no so I went through with cancelation notice. Was ready to order "The Steve Deal" from Rogers when I realized both packages were the same price after Bell's retentioin offer. D'oh!

Called into Bell an hour ago and had the cancelation notice removed, said I had a 'family miscommunication'. I'll call back later this week for the previous retention deal, maybe I'll get 25%.

#440 · (Edited)
I wish it was for the full year though.

So, today was the installation day of my HD-PVR.

After the installer left I began playing around with the remote, trying to show my family the benefits of our first PVR. Nothing happens. I look at the reciever, which I should have done earlier and find out it's the 6131, no PVR without an external.

Just got off the phone from an hour long customer service call to set up a pickup of the 6131 and schedule the installtion of the HD-PVR making sure to confirm that it's free, 1 year, and that my 50% discount still applies.

We'll see.

UPDATE: 30 minutes after this post I got a call from a 416 number, not sure if it was someone with Bell or someone that works for the installation company. They scheduled the installation of the proper HD-PVR/9241 within 30 minutes. Same installation guy came, drilled a hole in my floor and ran another cable from the satellite into the new receiver and that's how I got a PVR, like I was supposed to, before the Canada game tonight ;)

#441 ·
Do I have a chance?

I'm in about a 1.5 year into my 2 year contract. Do I have a chance of calling retention and getting a discount on my programming?

Also, I want to order HBO Canada in time for their new WWII mini-series The Pacific. Is there any chance I could subscribe to the movie package and get a discount on my programming at the same time?

#442 ·
just got off the phone with bell tv. Vidéotron offert me to change my pvr for hd-pvr free and 2 months programmations.

bell tv offert me a free locations for a year of the 9241. +2 months free programming. but the only thing i have to go to Dumoulin store and buy a certificate for location about 100$ than they will pay me back the 100$.

so for me its a good deal.

#443 ·
Free PVR for a month and 2 months free?

2 months free is like 16% off.

Most everyone that has posted here have gotten 30-40% off, 20% at the very least.

They should also be sending you the rental PVR with an installer.

Why leave the house if you don't have to?

I would call them back.

#445 ·
1- 16% off for a year is much less than most people have gotten when they call in to retentions.

2- Yes, you have to pay the 100$ (and get it credited afterwards on your bill) but why are they making you leave the house? Ask them to have it delivered to you and credit you the 75$ installation fee.

The biggest issue here is the 16%, not so much the delivery of the receiver. Go for more... but it may be too late now that you already accepted the 2 months free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.