Does anyone here think that Bell Satellite TVs Hardware is outdated? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By cyclist44

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Does anyone here think that Bell Satellite TVs Hardware is outdated?

I often find that the Bell Satellite TV software and hardware is Super outdated. I mean, they have been using the same remote with their HD PVR since about '07 or '08 (correct the date if necessary) and the PVRs still only have 55 or 150hrs of storage on the HDD for HDTV content (my 9241 has 55hrs). Does anyone agree with me that their technology is outdated severely?

The software is also very outdated too with nothing changed overall since 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 04:15 PM
Veteran

Of course it's outdated. Dishnet in the US supplies their hardware and they have had better hardware for over 5 years. Bell actually downgraded their hardware about the time Dishnet upgraded theirs. If you want the latest Bell hardware, FibeTV is their offering. Bell's satellite TV offering was always just a temporary measure to keep out competition from US satellite services until they could develop DSL and fibre technology to deliver TV.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 08:12 PM

Yes it is definitely outdated. Unfortunately, I live on the West Coast so I can`t get Bell Fibe. Satellite was the best alternative for me because I got tired of waiting for Shaw to catch up on HD channels, and Telus has not yet brought TV to our Area. I wish the PVR had more than two tuners, etc.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-15, 09:14 PM
Veteran

I haven't had BTV or SD for sometime now. Not sure about SD, but although BTV receivers are uot up to dated they still have the option at some point to upgrade to Dishes Hopper & Joey. They also have the option of updating their remote to a "talk to remote" like Dishes remotes are now, though I'm not sure if you need newer receivers for that option to work or not? Non the less BTV does have Dishes technology for their revceiverers, and from my understanding Dish has the best receivers at present for sat.

Now whether Bell gets into 4K for sat that I don't know, that remains to be seen, but at least they can launch 4k(if they have the band width) or the Hopper & Joey as their system is based on Dishes sat sytems and receivers.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-16, 10:58 AM
Veteran

@bluboy01newwest , I feel your pain. Telus Optic TV is similar to FibeTV and we are stuck in the same scenario. FibeTV is not available so it's either Rogers Cable or satellite. We're with Rogers but not sure what I'd do if the only non-satellite choice was Shaw. Once Shaw rolls out their X1 boxes it might get better but they may also have to upgrade the cable system to carry more channels. We had two BellTV 9242's at one time with the RF out fed to a second TV. That provided 4 tuners and an (sl)easy way to provide whole home functionality. I switched when Rogers came out with their Whole Home PVR. The current model has 8 tuners so that's not an issue. It's not as good as some of the newer IPTV equipment but X1 should fix that. Don't expect to see Hopper & Joey or 4K from BellTV anytime soon. It may happen but the service seems to be in a holding pattern.
bluboy01newwest likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I dont think you will see 4k on satellite. Only PPV channels (i think-not entirely sure) only broadcast in 1080p. Other channels broadcast in either 720p or 1080i. unless a compression method comes out, idt there will be 4k on satellite. At least on some DishNet receivers netflix can be watched similar to the way it is on Fibe TV. on an unrelated note, I personally HATE the design of the satellite remotes bc they are so old and outdated. I mean, Dish has 21.1, 40.0 and 52.0 versions of the remotes which i think looks wayyy better!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 01:33 PM
Veteran

4k on on Canadian satellite will require new hardware at the receiving end. BellTV broadcast signals are all 720p with the exception of PPV. Last I heard, 1080p PPV is assisted by downloading the programming to the hard drive ahead of time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 02:09 PM

I don't see Bell Satellite updating anything. I think all their efforts are going to be put into Bell Fibe. Satellite is old technology. I don't think Bell wants to spend the money to update Satellite. Unfortunately some of us will never see Bell Fibe come to our neighborhoods.
bluboy01newwest likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

i agree with cyclist44. Bell Fibe has 0% chance of coming to our town since it is a rural town. Our town is lucky to have analog cable and 20mbps cable internet service powered by Eastlink.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

and ExDilbert is right-they do send the beginning portion down via satellite since the HD VOD channels (all listed as 1001) are always updated.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2017-12-17, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The pricing for the packages are outdated and the channel selection is outdated with channels that are nothing but trash. they expect to charge 163.00 a month for the "Best" package whereas Shaw Direct only charges 111.00 a month. Thats a big difference if you ask me. The basic package on bell is full of either channels that air garbage, reruns, or in the nighttime go off air (Omni). I wish they would add more better channels to their basic package-its the only way they are going to keep subscribers. Especially with all the cord-cutters going around over the last few years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.