Component Video output missing? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dss_cottage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-14, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Component Video output missing?

I have my TV connected to the HDMI output of my 9242 Bell PVR. For some time, I have also had the component output connected to a second device (Hauppaguage HD PVR). I haven't used this device for a few weeks and today I attempted to record a show from the Bell PVR and there seems to be no signal on the component output.

I know that many devices disable either the HDMI or Component output when the other is in use but this hasn't been the case on the 9242 Bell PVR.

I checked the software version and I have version V342.

Does anyone know if there has been a recent software update that has caused this or do I have another issue to pursue? (I have checked all the connections)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-14, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Nope not that I'm aware of. However like yourself, I also own a Bell 9242 HDPVR and am using multiple outputs. I am using NTSC Standard Def RF output to One TV, SD Composite Video output to Second TV, and HD Component Output YPbPr to my SlingBox and it works just fine. I'm having no issue on my Component output. Unlike you I am not using HDMI so I can not confirm if that is the issue or not, but I can confirm multiple outputs including Component seems to work for me, so your issue might be related to HDMI and Component combination but We need to find someone else to confirm this.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-14, 01:57 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Also, check your output setting. I'm not sure if you can set 1080P, but if you do, that setting will be "disallowed" on CV, so try 720P, which is what the incoming signal is for most channels anyway.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-14, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss_cottage View Post
(I have checked all the connections)
I would connect the component output directly to a TV to see if that works. Also reseat the cables on the 9242 to be sure they haven't oxidized or worked loose.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-14, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Another thing, if you turn on the component display first, try turning on the hdmi display and vice a versa

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Status

Trouble shooting this is time consuming since the TV is mounted on a wall, the Sat receiver is in an A/V cabinet and the Happauge is hardwired (component and SPDIF) but in another room.

Anyway, here's where I am....
The component cables are fine.
The component output from the PVR is working

But here's the strange part....
  • When my Happagauge PVR is set up to receive a signal from the component video and SPDIF, I get no picture or sound on the capture software.
  • If I switch the Capture software to receive sound on the RCA jacks, I get the picture but obviously no sound since there is nothing connected to the RCA input
  • I've checked the SPDIF cable and it appears to be OK. i.e. I see the red optical signal on the Happauge end of the cable
  • I've uninstalled the Happauge capture software and reinstalled the latest version but this didn't make any difference
  • This system was working a few weeks ago and nothing has been changed since. Therefore, I suspect that I have a problem with the Happaguge PVR. In that end, I'm off the the Happagauge web site to see if I can find a solution
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Solution

I posted this note a couple of days ago but it doesn't appear in the thread. (I probably screwed up).

Anyway, my issue is resolved.

I checked the Happauge FAQ on their support site and it indicated that no video would be shown if SPDIF was chosen on the Capture software but the signal was absent. This doesn't happen if the RCA input was chosen. This was obviously my problem.

I had previously checked all my connections including the SPDIF but I did it again anyway. After fiddling for a while, everything is now working. I didn't find any obvious problem and given that this is an optical connection it shouldn't be subject to corrosion. I wish that I could have conclusively identified the problem but I can't complain since it is working.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.