Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Pricing and Programming Packages Discussion

104K views 253 replies 65 participants last post by  noah12 
#1 ·
#2 ·
So when does this pick and pay (or smaller packages) kick in that we were promised by the CRTC? I am sure I could shave off half of the channels I am forced to get, to get the channels I want. Of coarse, that would be a next to perfect world. I am sure Bell has some computers buzzing away right now, making packages with one channel you want with others that you don't want. It really irks me that I have to get all of these children's channels, when there are no children in this household.

#3 ·
Skinny Basic: March. Pick and pay: by the end of the year

Be careful what you wish for... Canadians have wanted PnP for decades now. The ONLY reason it's coming is because the CRTC is mandating them. But, do you really think there will be a net saving to the consumer? Unlikely. There's noting on the books to say that Food Network (my favourite channel) won't cost $49.50/month. In the end, consumers will likely pay the same or more under this new plan. Colour me jaded, sorry.

#7 ·
ExpressVu - Only receiving east coast?

I just returned from vacation and noticed that all network channels, except for the east coast, have been purged from the guide. Did something happen? e.g. I only get CBC East (Toronto), all the west coast US networks are missing (1210 1211, 1212, 1213). Aren't all these channels part of every package to allow for "time shifting"?

#9 ·
I've just paid (what I hope) is the last 'basic' bill that I'll be paying since I'll be switching to skinny basic. I'm paid up to Feb 21st now - subscribing to this thread so I can switch to the skinny as soon as it's available. I'm curious as to what channels they'll be including...

#11 ·
$25 basic cable package must be in place by March 1 - Business - CBC News

In addition to the basic $25 package, cable and satellite providers must move to a pick-and-pay system or offer small bundles of channels, also by the March 1 deadline. They must offer both by Dec. 1 of next year.
Why the CRTC's $25 'skinny basic' package may not work | Harris | TV | Entertain

Far more likely is that some people who currently have cable or satellite packages will see this as an opportunity to “downsize.”
I realize the quoted articles speak of "cable", but the same rules apply to satellite.

#13 ·
Precisely, @Dr.Dave ... "the locals and a few mandatory specialty channels most people don't care about". Canadians demanded this level of product since the 90's when I worked for the old Graham Cable TV/FM. But, the reality is "skinny" basic, while an excellent proposal on paper, will truly only appeal to a small fraction of Bell's customer base. Most of the skinny channels are available OTA, and who watches CPAC and provincial legislature channels?

Common sense is if people really wanted to "stick it to Bell", they disconnect altogether. Most others will wake up on March 1st and keep the level of service status quo. I guess people like to believe they are given a choice even if they opt not to use it.

#18 ·
I can't comment on Quebec but I know here in Ontario though there where a few channels P&P most weren't. What I'm referring to is at present we have Good Better & Best with the introduction of P & P across all channels, and smaller bundles will we be forced to give up what we have presently IE Best will no longer be available and those that have it will be FORCED to give it up for smaller packages So if you want all the channels, you'll be forced to pay even more then what your paying now IE $112/best?

#19 ·
I'm a little hazy as to your point, my apologizes. As far as I'm concerned, this is no different than the migration from Legacy > Genesis > GBB. There was grandfathering and a brief period of time to reverse migrate. But, there are many current Genesis customers on the system even though GBB and PnP is already in place.

#20 ·
I don't think bell will change the present program packages. They are probably going to just add skinny basic and pick and pay because they have too. Skinny basic will be so skinny that it will be anorexic. If you opt for pick and pay you probably end up paying more to get less.

#22 ·
The CRTC is allowing the providers to keep selling their "fat" basic and "fat" bundles. Skinny basic and smaller theme packs or pick and pay are just new options that will appeal to people that just want a few extra channels.

Those that want a lot a channels will be better off with the existing packages.

#23 ·
I've been doing a lot of math lately...

I watch a very few shows on channels that will not be part of the skinny basic package, and researched how much it would be to get them through various internet sites.

It is surprising how much free content is on the websites for many channels you have to pay for - HGTV, Discovery, History, etc. have a lot of shows online for free that I watch, eliminating the need to add those as a pick 'n pay option.

However, where it gets expensive is shows not on those websites. I am finding that:

-to buy shows on websites like iTunes, you pay up to $1.99 an episode, and around $20 per full season.

-Sports is really expensive. NFL will most likely be available on CTV in skinny basic, and most NHL games. CFL will be impossible to get without a TSN subscription. MLB will be impossible to get without a Sportsnet subscription. Options exist for full packages of NFL, NHL, and other sports I watch, but are $200 to $300 a year (depending on exchange rates, but are available to Canadian subscribers)

-most of the streaming services are old repeats - the few shows on Netflix, Shomi, or Crave that are exclusives are not of interest to me, but seasons of them are available on DVD or for download at a charge.

There is also the convenience factor of having a "one box" solution for some. I am looking at having a Bell box for the Skinny Basic channels, luckily I have a 9242 with an OTA tuner for U.S. channels near me, but that would be a separate box on other TV's, and then a computer to download all the programs online that I need to be convenient to a TV.

At then end of my calculations, I will save a few bucks to keep watching what I like, but will be using multiple sources instead of one. As well, my internet usage is capped, and may need to increase it.

It's a big debate in my household - and is around $5 a month worth the hassle?

#24 ·
@ParadoxInsanity: If by PnP you mean pick and pay, I assume you live in Quebec? So far that is the only province where Bell offers a real pick and pay option although there have been a small number of minor channels that can be chosen separately in the rest of the country if you're really interested in niche progamming. The rest of us are still waiting for the real thing.

#25 ·
I just noticed that my $5/mth credit has just come off....Last I heard some people were getting $10/mth off. What is everyone getting these days??

Also, I can't seem to find that phone number that takes you right to the cancellation department to try and get your monthly discount.

Does anyone remember the best phone number to call???

any help is appreciated,

#26 ·
My loyalty offer is $10/month for 10 months, plus I am somewhere in year 3 of a 60 month free rental on a 9400 HD-PVR. I have the Better Package with $15/month of add-ons bundled with a $45/month mobility plan. I remember reading somewhere that they folded the Loyalty Department, you just call the main 1-888-SKY-DISH number and follow the prompts