Bell calling to validate receivers - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 10:55 AM
Veteran

If they are calling about validating your receivers but instead they are asking for account related info like your pin number, then it sounds suspicious and is probably a scam. Yes I heard bell calls to validate your receiver, but if you get a call and it sounds suspicious and they are asking for different information like your pin numbers or to validate your billing address, I would be suspicious and very upset that scammers have to resort to this to try and scam you

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 02:13 PM
Veteran

I agree. Bell may call but they will not ask for financial or other personal information. They will have receiver serial numbers and account info so they may ask for verification but not for the info itself. If in doubt, Bell will allow a call back. They will only call if there is more than one receiver on an account and they are not connected to a phone line or the internet. The best way to avoid calls is to connect the receivers to the internet (useful for VOD) or the phone line registered on the account (if possible.)
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 03:31 PM

As others have said Bell will NOT ask for account info at all.

They will supply a receiver number and ask you to tell them the location id being displayed on that receiver, they will do this for all on the account. Any you cannot supply during that one phone call can be deactivated and will only be reactivated if it and the others are all dealt with during one phone call.

post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 03:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan B View Post
Any you cannot supply during that one phone call can be deactivated and will only be reactivated if it and the others are all dealt with during one phone call.
I believe they may even only leave one receiver active on your account, their discretion, but I guess they probably leave the ones verified active.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 05:13 PM
Veteran

I'm not sure how it is today, but when I had BTV I had at least 5 or 6 not sure which receivers at the time. I was called at least 3 to 6 times a year asking for the code. But that was under stable since I had so many receivers on one account.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 05:41 PM
Veteran

I plugged my receivers into the phone line and never got called. They checked them a couple of times when I called. The first time was just after I moved and they had to be authorized because they had been unplugged for a couple of months. Another time was when I added a receiver. Not sure why they did it the second time.
post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 2018-02-14, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I believe they may even only leave one receiver active on your account, their discretion, but I guess they probably leave the ones verified active.
That is what they do if they leave multiple voice mail messages and get no reply within a specific period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.