Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Hopper and Joey

63K views 151 replies 43 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Dishnetwork is releasing the hopper and joey soon. I hope bell releases it soon too. Its amazing can record six hd shows at once and the joey can watch the shows in another room. Also comes with a 2tb hard drive.

#6 ·
Yes I saw the link, and in this thread I'm letting anyone know in simple terms that there will not be a 9252, and the the Hopper and Joey is the real future at least for Dish Network and Echostar. Maybe ma Bell in a year or two may add them as well, but they avoid anything complicated receiver wise it seems.

#9 ·
I think you'll be wrong on that.

Bell will get all of Echostar's Dish 922's refurb units and rebrand them to Bell and swing them to us like the next best thing since sliced bread.

Bell is putting it off because the 922 stock (including all sold active use units, refurb and unsold) is small compared to that of previous receiver versions. They need to bridge the gap so they can ream us on the 9252 for a few years while the stock of hopper/joey refurbs builds up, then we get that, while echostar moves on to something else.

#12 ·
Bell version of Hopper

So - does anyone know when this is coming to Bell? Its readily available now in the US.
This would certainly solve the crappy compressed HD picture quality I'm moaning about from Telus & Shaw.

You guys should do yourselves a favour and go see what HD looks like over cable in the USA. Even over cable at 720p! It absolutely SMOKES telus Optik or Shaw.

I feel like we're living in soviet-Canada and we all just keep taking what the tele-communication co's are shovelling. :(

#14 ·
I would guess about 4 - 5 years for the hopper/joey.

primehifi is correct. The fact that Dish has abandoned the 922 because of all its problems means Bell will likely introduce refurbed 922s as the latest and greatest.

Or they will commission Echostar to build a revised version of the 922 with more bugs and fewer features as they did with the 6400/211k.

#21 ·
Do you work with Bell? As I understand it FIBE = telus Optik. If what you say is true and you have corporate knowledge of this it sure seems like the big telecoms are in a conspiracy to keep canadian consumers over paying for throttled service. Why would I be surprised? They are the same folks who keep our cell phone bills the highest in the world. Very suspicious.

Wouldn't you love a new player to pop up?
Richard Branson? Are you listening?
:)

#22 ·
Bell has a new satellite going up shortly and they're in the process of upgrading all non MPEG4 HD receivers FREE to affected customers, both very expensive ventures. To say they're not investing anything in satellite simply isn't true. I hope they offer a new PVR eventually but I don't think it will be until after this other business is finished.

-Mike

#24 ·
The new Nimiq 6 bird was ordered years ago, probably before FIBE TV even existed, they don't just pop down to the Sat Store and get one off the shelf.

Once ordered, they have to go through with it. Ask yourself, what is Nimiq 5 doing right now.? Oh it is being used by Dishnetwork, it is NOT being used for Canadian Customers at all.

I did say NEW investment, I consider the MPEG4 swap an old one, as it started some time ago, last October I believe.

It is my opinion, that you will see little in infrastructure spending by Bell TV, on Stacked System Installations in Apartments, as they will try to direct Customers to FIBE TV.

#26 ·
I tend to agree with this too. Bell has fallen behind here in Quebec to Videotron. They have introduced the a la carte option and the next step would be to attack Videotron with their Fibe TV.

Personally I prefer Sat over Fibe and hope they do invest in it.

Having said that, Fibe is only available in Ontario and Quebec. I am close to downtown Montreal and Fibe is still not available in my area. If Bell invests only on Fibe as it is rolling it out than they will lose potential customers. Customers who will not have any other option than to go with Videotron if the Satellite option is not competitive and Fibe yet not available in their area.

#27 ·
exactly Sat was here long before Fibe was even thought of, so Bell should stay on the Sat end of things and consider Fibe a "secondary" venture with the main focus being Sat. Back to the Hopper/Joey, I had a chance to play around with one last weekend back home. It was cool. I would very much like Bell to look into this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.