AMC coming to Bell TV on November 11th - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-03, 07:12 AM

What a waste of bandwidth AMC HD is - it's only "Stretch - O - Vision" as AMC does not have the Canadian HD rights for the movies they show. Only their original programming is in HD.

I can't believe that J.R. Shaw fell for this joke - and it's more surprising that Rogers followed - and now Bell!

Those running the gold mine known as Canadian cable/satellite companies really must think their customers are idiots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-03, 10:46 AM

987654...., this is typical BEV, they brag about reaching 100 HD channnels, when about half of them show the same programming.
I guess AMC is better than NO AMC but I hope their original series will at least be in HD!?

With all these anouncements from BEV, I thought one of them should have been as follows: [ " MONTREAL, Nov. 2 2009 -- In an address to The Canadian Club today in Montréal, Bell and BCE President and CEO George Cope announced that Bell has reaffirmed its TV leadership in Québec and across Canada by becoming the first television provider in the country to offer 100 High Definition channels with all channels being transmitted at a full 19Mhz bandwith and all in their native 1080i or 720p resolution from the original source without any signal manipulation"].

Wishfull thinking I suppose.....but that would have been something BEV should have been proud to have said.

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-03, 06:12 PM

AMC HD

987654321, not sure how Bell's AMC HD will be, but since Shaw started showing the actual AMC HD channel, not an upconverted one they'd been showing since it launched, all movies are now in HD.

Shaw switched to the actual AMC HD channel a couple of days ago.

Also, for Mad Men fans, they re-run the crap out of it, so odds are you'll get to see some of it.

Mark

post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-04, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Shaw switched to the actual AMC HD channel a couple of days ago
But Shaw Broadcast (SBS) didn't - they only switch for Madmen, etc - so Shaw Direct and Rogers customers are seeing movies stre.........................................tched.

I'm not washed up yet
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Question

So has it shown up yet? No longer have BTV and was just curious if it had shown up yet?

Also wasn't there something else that was suppose to happen with Bell or BTV today? Can't remeber what it was?
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

It's on. Just checked and they had a movie on which was stretched.
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 12:35 PM

Showing one of my favourite movies "To Hell and Back" for the umpteenth time on television. Guess this is war day in honour of Rememberance/Veterans Day. A better older one "Sgt York" was on Moviepix HD. Sorry but really cannot see the need for another American HD channel when several Canadian ones are available.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 02:21 PM
C C

Quote:
Sorry but really cannot see the need for another American HD channel when several Canadian ones are available.
To each its own but my guess is that you have not been able to compare the quality (in terms of movies shown) between Canadian movie channels and American.

All Canadian movie channels without exception are terrible IMO, I've subscribed to them for the last 7 years and just as I made my mind to cancel them Bell is adding AMC to the same package, I will try AMC for a little while but I doubt that channel alone and the very few good movies shown on MC and HBO Canada will justify the $ they ask for the premium package.

And if the HD version of AMC is streched, I'm cancelling that package within two weeks.

Can't wait to move back closer to the border and pickup some Dish Network or DirectTV.
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 02:30 PM

They did stretched one of the movies,To Hell and Back.The other two movies ,Patton and The Battle of the Bulge, were not stretched.
I checked with the SD channel to compare.
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 02:33 PM

Those movies may not be available in HD yet.
Patton is out on Blu-Ray, and therefore the HD version is being shown.

They shouldn't stretch them tho.
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
But Shaw Broadcast (SBS) didn't - they only switch for Madmen, etc - so Shaw Direct and Rogers customers are seeing movies stre.........................................tched.
What is Shaw Broadcast (SBS)?

And what channel is AMC on Bell? Is it available to all subscribers as a free preview?
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Channel 1281, on Free Preview until Dec. 31, 2009 (says the Guide)

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL 9400 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One S
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 04:35 PM
Rookie

You are so right .Whenever I watch a really bad movie on bell I know immediately it is canadian
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-14, 01:55 PM

Strech-o-vision is really a pain in the whatever. Last night the HD channel was showing a streched movie. I then switched to the SD channel to watch it in 4x3. It was streched and letterboxed !
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 06:08 PM
Veteran

This is the worst quality HD channel I've ever seen on BellTV, by far! On top of that most of the movies are stretched! What a waste!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.