SiriusXM 2.0 delivers over 20 new satellite radio channels.
Sirius XM Radio in the United States last week announced SiriusXM 2.0, a new technology which enables the satellite radio broadcaster to greatly expand the number of channels it can offer customers of its new SiriusXM Edge radio (shown here).
The Edge Dock and Play Radio is the only SiriusXM radio that can access the new 2.0 technology and is now being sold in the United States for $140 at over 2,500 retail locations.
SiriusXM says the new 2.0 technology uses “highly efficient modulation and compression techniques” which delivers 25% more bandwidth capacity without affecting the broadcast quality of existing channels.
“The expansion of our commercial-free music offerings, the launch of SiriusXM Latino, the near-doubling of our comedy channels, and additions to our live sports talk, deepens the channel offerings available to SiriusXM subscribers” said Sirius’ Scott Greenstein. President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM.
The Edge radio includes PVR-like capabilities which allow a listener to rewind and replay the broadcast. The new Edge also allows users to browse other channels without leaving a station, one-touch jump to traffic and weather in specific cities, and to store up to ten favorites.
Unfortunately, the new technology and new channels are not available to Canadians who subscribe to SiriusXM Canada programming packages.
The expanded programming offering from SiriusXM includes:
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Radio, channel 310: SiriusXM and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will commemorate the artists who’ve been inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. The channel will feature highlights from Induction Ceremonies from the past, the Rock Hall’s famous 25th anniversary celebration from Madison Square Garden, and stories from the Museum.
- SiriusXM Comes Alive!, channel 316: A Library of live classic rock recordings.
- RockBar, channel 313: Non-stop anthems from artists like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, Nickelback, The Ramones, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, and more.
- Classic College Radio, channel 319: The roots of Indie Rock started on college campuses across North America. This channel brings music from bands such as Sonic Youth, The Replacements, The Pixies, R.E.M., Bjork, Guided by Voices, among others.
- Red White & Booze, channel 350: The music of Country-themed bars and honky tonks across America, featuring a mix of country and rock songs from artists like Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band, Jason Aldean, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and more.
- Party Mega Mix, channel 300: An upbeat party soundtrack from artists like The Black Eyed Peas, B-52′s, Katy Perry, Run DMC, Usher, and more.
- Carlin’s Corner, channel 400: Produced with George Carlin’s daughter, Kelly Carlin, the station honors the man who made the “seven deadly words” famous with his own channel.
- UCB Radio, channel 406: Produced with the Upright Citizens Brigade, this channel features underground sketch, improv and stand-up comedy that is breaking new styles of comedy and launching new star comedians.
- Dirty Dog, channel 403: Pushing the boundaries of rude and raucous comedy farther than ever before, including favorite comics at their edgiest, such as Sam Kinison, Jim Norton, Doug Stanhope, Artie Lange, Lisa Lampanelli, Sarah Silverman and more.
- ESPN SportsCenter, channel 370: offering sports news and highlights shows, including SportsCenter, ESPNews and more.
- Krishna Das Yoga Radio, channel 360: Coming soon. Created in partnership with yoga musician Krishna Das, the channel features music from Krishna Das and many different artists from the world of yoga and meditation.
To appeal to the fastest growing population segment in the United States, SiriusXM has added numerous new Latin music channels including: Caliente, channel 150; Viva, channel 500; La Mezcla, channel 503; Flow Nacion, channel 506; Aguila, channel 510; Latidos, channel 520; Caricia, channel 523; Luna, channel 530; Rumbon, channel 533; La Kueva, channel 540; Latin rock classics and today’s upcoming artists, including Mana, Fabulosos Cadillacs, Soda Estereo, Molotov, Juanes, Puya, Rata Blanca, and more.
Other new Latin Channels include: RadioFormula Mexico, channel 560, a 24/7 news and talk from the leading radio broadcaster from Mexico; Playboy Radio en Espanol, channel 569 and more Spanish-language NFL, MLB, Soccer and University sports coverage.
Discuss SiriusXM 2.0 in Digital Home’s Sirius XM Satellite Radio discussion forum.