CRTC seeks public input on loud TV ads

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched a public consultation on the issue of loud television commercials.

The federal regulator is inviting comments for the next two months on the possible technical and regulatory measures that would ensure commercials are not perceived to be louder than the programs they accompany.

“Loud ads on television can disrupt an otherwise enjoyable program and are a source of significant annoyance for Canadians,” said Konrad von Finckenstein, Q.C., Chairman of the CRTC. “Viewers should not have to adjust the volume at every commercial break, and we will work with the broadcasting industry to find an acceptable solution.”

For details on how to submit your comments, see the Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-102 on the CRTC website.

Discuss loud television ads in Digital Home’s Canadian Television Industry / Channels and Providers forum.

Comments

9 Responses to “CRTC seeks public input on loud TV ads”
  1. mellobob says:

Isn’t this totally silly / redundant? I was under the impression that there were regulations on this for years … but the CRTC itself. Nice to see them concerned about something we care about. I’m not holding my breath for this useless group to do anything.

2. Judyz says:

The hilarious part is that the CRTC has been stonewalling this issue for years. They even had a blurb up on their site explaining how loud TV commercials were all in our heads. Meanwhile our receiver automatically adjusts the volume the moment it detects the commercial blasts and Auto Sound Leveling has been a feature built into TV’s for years. Solutions for a supposedly non existent problem.

Personally I don’t watch any commercials anymore. I never watch live TV. Everything is on the PVR and we fast forward Commercials and that is those rare times we actually watch anything. The networks have made anything else far too annoying.

3. Speederd says:

money well spent…CRTC is a joke. They ask for public input on loud ads and ignore the public totally and went ahead and implemented UBB.

4. Derek Primos says:

What kind of comments are they expecting? What regular TV viewer would be in favour of loud TV commercials?

5. James21 says:

How can we deflect some heat from the Usage Based Billing heat? Nice try…

6. Glen says:

So it’s within their mandate to even regulate volume levels of commercials? They probably would try to regulate content of t.v. shows except, oh wait, 90% of our t.v. shows on those “Canadian” stations are American shows.

7. Teresa Carey says:

Please,do something about the loud t.v. ads, I find them so annoying. I now press the “mute” button. I would not purchase any of their advertised products just out of principal..

8. Anonymous says:

Now here is a decent chance to complain…
    There should be a prominant sticky posted on this site & thus get many here going to the CRTC site to complain
    I find it hard to swallow that only 150 + or – complained about loud adds in each of the last 2 years !!!

I went to try to fill in the CRTC’s complaint form for loud commercials & suspiciously/conveniently the whole CRTC site is down ?????

9. Vivienne says:

Please do something about the painfully loud TV ads. Since I started wearing hearing aides a short time ago the loud ads actually cause pain in my ears. Sometime it’s not possible to hit the mute button fast enough.