This Week on Blu-ray (August 17th)
In a very quiet week for new releases, Digital Home’s top pick on Blu-ray this week is “The Good, the Bad, the Weird,” a 2008 South Korean comedy inspired by Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Set in Japanese occupied Manchuria in the 1930′s, the film follows three bandits who get their hands on a treasure map but are pursued by the Imperial Japanese army who believe they have stolen a map for a new railway from them.
The movie premiered at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival and has received mostly positive reviews, scoring an 83% on the Tomatometer at Rotten Tomatoes.
Another new releases to consider on Blu-ray this week include: “Cemetery Junction,” a recent coming of age story which takes place in 1970′s England; and “Hamlet,” a well received 1996 film version of William Shakespeare’s classic play of the same name, adapted and directed by Kenneth Branagh, who also stars in the title role as Prince Hamlet.
The following is a list of Blu-ray titles set for release this week. (Canadian readers should note that every effort has been made to confirm these titles will be available in Canada this week, however, actual release dates are subject to change)
- Black Orpheus: The Criterion Collection
- Casshern Sins: Part 1
- Casshern Sins: Part 2
- Cemetery Junction
- Dead Man Running
- Dexter: The Complete Fourth Season
- Dexter: The Complete Seasons 1-4
- DOA: Dead or Alive
- Furry Vengeance
- Good, the Bad, the Weird
- Millenium 3: La Reine Dans Le Palais [Blu-ray]
- Nanny McPhee
- National Geographic: Glacier National Park
- Rick Steves: Celtic Charms
- Rick Steves: Eastern European Favorites
- Rick Steves: Italy through Back Door
- Rick Steves: Surprising Cities of Eu…
- Roger Corman Cult Classics – Piranha (Blu-ray)
- The City of Your Final Destination
- The Good, the Bad, the Weird
- The Last Song
- Total Terror 1: Demonic / Uninvited
- Total Terror 2: Brush With Death / Harvest of Fear
Discuss the latest releases in Digital Home’s Blu-Ray, DVD and at the Theatres discussion forum.